Take the American Heart Association's 12-week Go Red BetterU Challenge today! Join Julie, Laura, Molly, Pamela, Paula, Renee and Ruthann in this journey to better health. BetterU is a free online tool that provides resources and tools for women who want to improve their health. Start! now so you can be on the path to becoming a BetterU!


Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pampering, party of 1

One of the (many) benefits of being a Better U Challenger was that we all received a gift certificate for a facial with Davina and a massage with Pam at St. Vincent Women's Center in Fishers.   I had never had a facial in my life.  It was very different than what I expected.  I thought it would be a solid hour of mind numbing luxury.  And while there was some mind numbing luxury, there was also some pinching, scraping, and plucking.  HOWEVER, it wasn't bad and it when it was over, my skin was never more smooth or clean!  I must say I am not of the high maintenance skin care regimen mindset, instead usually just washing my face with water before I go to bed.  (I use cleanser when I'm feeling particularly decadent) But Davina definitely changed my mind about that.  She describes good skin care as prevention against skin cancer, wrinkles, and other issues in old age much like eating healthy and exercising as prevention against heart disease!!  Although I don't know if my budget can handle the once every 28 days visit that Davina suggests, I definitely don't think that facial will be my last!

After my facial, I moved on to my massage.  Wow.  Apparently, I carry a lot of tension in my back and shoulders and Pam found it and got rid of it.  She even told me to drink a lot of water afterwards because she was releasing so many toxins that I would need it.  She had to have been on to something too because later that day, after not getting to drink much water yet, I was starting to feel a little less than well.  I remembered what she said, got some water and within about 30 minutes, was feeling better!  My only complaint about the massage was it wasn't nearly long enough!!!  I could have stayed there all day.

After my morning of pampering, I headed to the Indianapolis Women's Center to meet with Cheryl Kingsbury for an exercise consultation.  She is amazing.  She had created an entire workout for me based on me telling her that I had a stability ball at my house.  I had a great workout and learned A TON of things I can use to workout on my own.  I don't even have to go anywhere to do it!  I can do it right from the comfort of my own living room...while watching TV!  How hard is that?!

Last but not least, I met with Kristen Welch, one of the amazing dieticians who had also taken us on a grocery store tour the night before.  My mind is swimming with new and fabulous information and things I had never heard of or knew to pay attention to.  Since this challenge began, I had been a little frustrated with how sloooooowly I was losing any real weight.  I am confident I'm getting healthier, but I wanted to lose some poundage too!!  Kristen said she knew the answer and gave me a plan of attack.  I am confident it will work and I'm excited to see the results!

What an amazing day I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment