Take the American Heart Association's 12-week Go Red BetterU Challenge today! Join Julie, Laura, Molly, Pamela, Paula, Renee and Ruthann in this journey to better health. BetterU is a free online tool that provides resources and tools for women who want to improve their health. Start! now so you can be on the path to becoming a BetterU!


Monday, April 4, 2011

Week 5: Weight Control For Your Heart (& GO DAWGS!!!!)

What a wonderful way to end week 4 and begin week 5 – a lively and informational nutritional program from the Director of Public Relations for The Care Group, our very own Margie Fougeron, MS, RD, CD. Thank you so much, Margie, for organizing this wonderful event. I learned so much on Saturday, April 2nd, and I can’t wait to start using my knowledge. To top it off, we had a cooking demonstration from award-winning chef, Scott Reifenberger from the Skyline Club. He made smoked salad, roasted peppers, poached pears & maple-walnut vinaigrette and chocolate-chipotle crepes w/strawberries, pistachios and vanilla bean anglaise. Ooh-laa, I was in seventh heaven. I didn’t know food that looked so elegant and tasted so delicious could also be so healthy. What a wonderful eye opener. Thank you so much, Scott. I can’t wait to try the recipes at home. We were treated to a wonderful “twofer” on Saturday. Good knowledge and good food. Wow, it just doesn’t get better than that.

I’m sure by now that everyone knows her BMI. Mine is definitely higher than it should and I am making a vow today that both my BMI and waist circumference will be better at the end of our 12-week journey than it is today. Since this is the week we are to concentrate on weight control for our heart, I am going to get down and get busy and get healthy. I know that my mood affects my eating. Whenever I get depressed, I automatically go for something sweet, especially chocolate. And while, dark chocolate is good for the heart, I know the portions I eat are detrimental to my health. I am making another vow today. Starting right now, whenever I get the urge to eat something unhealthy, I will drink water. Yes, that’s my goal and I’m sticking to it. Have a great week 5, everyone, and GO DAWGS!!!! Sandy F.

No comments:

Post a Comment