Take the American Heart Association's 12-week Go Red BetterU Challenge today! Join Julie, Laura, Molly, Pamela, Paula, Renee and Ruthann in this journey to better health. BetterU is a free online tool that provides resources and tools for women who want to improve their health. Start! now so you can be on the path to becoming a BetterU!


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Red United

What a truly amazing day on Friday at the Go Red Luncheon.! I never dreamed of the magnitude of the presentation and cast of such an incredible event. I feel so fortunate to have been a part of such a magical day and being with my "girls" and my daughter, plus 1,000 new friends was pure joy. I am now and forever a part of the Go Red family....

We were treated with such class and I felt so spoiled! I was nervous to walk the "catwalk" during the fashion show in front of 1,000 people, but once I was up there and really cognizant of the reason I was there - I strutted like a true model! Of course I had my fireman Eric to hold on to and once around the walkway - went right back to him to hold me up! Thanks, Eric! I felt proud of my accomplishments and hope I inspired others - especially smokers - to gain control of their health. Several women talked to me after the program about smoking and their attempts to quit. I know we have all heard "If I can do it, you can do it" and think, "Yeh, right - whatever..." but really I was so hooked - a walking chimney - if you are out there - YOO-HOO - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

So now that the big day event is over, I feel it is time to totally focus on an intense month of working out. Three months until summer and I am so excited about my life and future! I have a great deal of damage to overcome - but I have made the commitment to work as hard as I can to be as strong as I can! The last couple of weeks I have split my interval to a run/walk split with running - 18 minutes, walking - 12.....2 minute walk - 3 minute run. My goal is to be on a 1/5 split by the end of the month. Sometimes I feel like I am not improving in my endurance, but I just block out any negative thoughts and work through it....knowing I am improving. I have to remind myself that I have only quit smoking 5 weeks and doing cardio 2 months - so HELLO - can't be a distance runner yet....I did do a quick cholesterol check at the luncheon and my overall numbers have dropped 30 points - the test did not give the HDL which I am really interested in because Dr. Branyas told me that would increase after quitting smoking....I did make my daughter take a test too - and her numbers were great - I am going to be on my kids to really take care of themselves now! They are all so excited and proud of me and that makes me feel really good! I had little support the last 4 years and hearing someone say "I am proud of you" means more than any of you can imagine.

The outcome of all the challenge opportunities has not only impacted my health, but now I have found new confidence to try new things and am looking at new possibilities in my life. I am planning a whole new "next 50 years" and have some awesome opportunities ahead of me. I felt I was allowing myself to become stagnant and forgot what an incredible, huge, opportunity filled world there is out there! We are not predestined to our current conditions, situations, places, relationships - we are free to choose new ideas and new prospects. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to WAKE UP and clearly see the world around me and all of the wonderful people I have met along the way! I am so proud of Amy, Jessica, Dee, and Ruth and they are now and will forever be - sisters of my heart - I love you all! Keep up the good work!

Kimila <3

No comments:

Post a Comment