Take the American Heart Association's 12-week Go Red BetterU Challenge today! Join Julie, Laura, Molly, Pamela, Paula, Renee and Ruthann in this journey to better health. BetterU is a free online tool that provides resources and tools for women who want to improve their health. Start! now so you can be on the path to becoming a BetterU!


Sunday, January 29, 2012

Getting focused

I took my exercise schedule up a notch by adding a new aerobics class on Wednesdays.  Last Wednesday was the second week of the class and my body has not adjusted. ( I now have two - one hour exercise classes on Wednesdays.)  No aches or pains, I'm just tired. Am I overdoing it? On Monday I will meet with the fitness consultant at the St. Vincent Women's Hospital.  This should give me insight into what I need to change or add to my fitness program.  Are my "random acts of kindness to my body" working?

After meeting with my primary care doctor last Thursday for a regular checkup, I am proud to have received a clean bill of  health, with the ongoing exception of the bad cholesterol.  It's improving but not fast enough. I'm using the meds now. 

I'm sharing this with you because the exercise, healthy eating, and weight loss are all paying off. The journey has it's rewards and challenges.  Last week I went shopping for a new pair of jeans.  You know what a challenge that is.  Well, I found a pair that had a nice fit and looked good on, but when I took the jeans off and looked at them as I held them up, I was surprised.  The jeans looked too small.  Couldreally have fit into those jeans? The feeling was great and one of  many discoveries on this journey. 

There can be a tendency, however, that after one accomplishment you let down your guard - you can't.  Staying focused is even more important. Last Saturday, (and I was wearing those new jeans) I let down my guard with an over the top "cheat treat" but my body let me know I had slipped.  I had thought I "deserved" a award when the real award is the return to a healthy weight and life style. We slip but we must get back on the road.

Getting focused  and staying focused are  key components of the journey. Each day I have found it important to stop and reflect on the day's journey.  One step at a time, one day at a time.

I too am a foodoholic but the healthy life style change is in the driver seat.

Renee 

No comments:

Post a Comment